Sunday, July 1, 2012

The $5 Yard Sale Sideboard

It seems $5 yard sale finds are my price point.  This was one of them.  It was in really bad shape.  It had peeling veneer, was wobbly and chipped to death.  I bought it while my husband gave me the 'Are you crazy?' look (he was also probably wondering how much work he was going to have to do on it too!).  I'm in the middle of the project now and I'm at the 'what was I thinking?' stage.  To get it to this point I've already glued the veneer down, wood-filled it, sanded it, washed it, chalk painted a first time (then it bled through!), then I tried Kilz primer (and it bled through again!), and finally today I broke down and put a coat of shellac over the entire piece.  I doubt it will bleed through this time.  Its been sanded so well (by my honey) that's it's as soft as a baby's bottom, and then I'm bringing it in to chalk paint it one last time.  Late at night of course.  With a bottle of Coca-Cola.  I think I'm going to keep this one because it's just so darned cute.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Would have kept it, too. Perfect apt. size, and you did it justice (newer post).

    ReplyDelete