Monday, September 3, 2012

Look What My Husband Brought Home!

My husband is always bringing me little presents.  A picked flower, a coffee drink, bath salts...

This time I think he outdid himself.  He found this little thing on the side of the road with a sign that said 'FREE'.  He picked it up because he was thinking about his wife's late night therapeutic painting obsession hobby.  The dresser was in much worse shape than this.  Sorry I didn't think to take a before picture.  Next time.

I had these cute glass knobs from a project (that I obviously didn't finish) eons ago, and I thought that the glass knobs would look cute against a chalkboard background.  So I painted the drawer fronts in chalkboard paint and added the glass knobs.  Cute.  Then I painted the rest of the dresser in a calm aqua color and added 2 coats of high gloss wipe on poly.  Love how the top and sides shine!

I have this thing about dresser drawers.  It makes no sense to me to make the outside of a dresser really nice, and then when you open the drawers the whole mood is spoiled.  So I had to do the drawers this time too.

I painted the insides and sides of each drawer in a lime green color.  Next, I tore out pages from an old atlas I got at a thrift store.  I then used one of my favorite products of all time called 'Mod Podge' and lined the bottoms of the drawers with the atlas pages.  Like this:
 
 And this:
 
 
Here's an up close pic:
 
 
I just love the chalkboard paint!
 
Actually, the neatest thing about the chalkboard paint is what I'll find written on it tomorrow morning.  My kids love chalkboard paint and often draw me funny stick figure pictures or leave me Dr. Seuss quotes.
 
Sadly, this is going to a friend's little boy and won't be staying in my apartment.  Well, it's actually not that sad.  When it goes it'll free up wall space for another project...tee hee!
 
btw, I added this post to some linky parties.  Thought that might be fun!
Linked up to:
Twigg Studios Sunday Show Off
504 Main Tickled Pink
Primitive and Proper Furniture Link Party
Kammy's Korner: Trash 2 Treasure
Tater Tots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Savvy Southern Style
House of Hepworths
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Somewhat Simple
A Glimpse Inside
Finding Fabulous Blog
Chic On A Shoestring Decorating
The 36th Avenue

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll be linking up to your party again next week!

      Delete
  2. Oh your hubby sounds like a KEEPER for sure! Great job on the dresser!

    ReplyDelete